Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentines Day = Throwing Calorie Counting Into The Wind

Everyone who swims at the gym must have read my blog post last week, because there was not a soul in the pool when I arrived for my workout on Friday at 5:00 pm.  After thoroughly checking the area to make sure that there were no signs announcing a shark attack or rat infestation, I hopped in the first lane.  There was only one guy who got in for the entire 60 mins that I was doing my workout.  And just in case you're super concerned about me drowning if I do in fact have the pool all to myself - have no fear.  Not only is the hot tub and sauna (which usually have people in them) about 10 feet away from the pool, but the pool itself is only about 3 and a half feet deep all the way across.  It's a good idea in theory, but it might still be a little too shallow.  Those big guys have a heck of a time with the underwater turns. 

After my workout, I showered and went over to a friend's house to watch the opening of the Winter Olympics.  I was pretty impressed with the opening ceremonies and wished the whole time that I was still on the west coast so I could take a jaunt up to Vancouver to check out the spectacle.

The weekend was pretty low key - I went shopping to find some new workout shoes (because I'm so hardcore now) and hung around the house.  Sunday was the day of love - Valentines Day and Steve and I celebrated by going to Lawry's Prime Rib and having an excellent meal and a delightful evening.  If you're into to it, check out my Yelp review (lindsaykell.yelp.com).   

Monday's kwando (kickboxing) class was as brutal as always, but my endurance is up and I'm hardly sore for it.  I look forward to my swimming workout today.  It always makes my muscles relax and loosen up.  It's disappointing that I haven't lost any weight yet...but I probably need to modify my diet along with this new exercise regimen and remind myself that just because I'm working out doesn't mean I can eat whatever I want.

Other than that, all is quiet on the home-front.  The boyfriend is sick with head cold, which thankfully doesn't happen to often, because I don't dodge colds very well.  Only time will tell if I can successfully keep my immune system in check and not catch it from him.  I did my taxes last night and am totally not getting as much back as I thought-- bummer.  February is almost over, and that means the worst of winter in Chicago is also almost over.  I am massively looking forward to March, because I have a trip home to Oregon planned the 18-22 and a trip to New York (first-timers) with my boyfriend planned the 25-28.  Both should be a VERY sweet (and much needed) break indeed! 

2 comments:

  1. As I'm sure you already know because you are smarter than me, the best way to lose weight when you are working out harder is to drink plenty of water and stock up on protein and fiber. That is the hardest part for me since I'm not a huge fan of meat...I try to eat a lot of beans, ha ha. Another positive note to all of this exercising you are doing is that exercise boosts the immune system!! Yay for my cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...I am actually totally clueless when it comes to anything outside just exercising. That is totally why I have you as a cousin! My "diet" seriously consists of "eat whatever you want in (sometimes) moderation." I can always use nutrition/work out tips!

    ReplyDelete