Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Gym Rat in the Making

http://www.yelp.com/user_details?userid=-E-Fui3-t6jkMoQfANZ9TQ

My Yelp Review of the Bally gym that I just joined says it all.  It's not pretty, but it is functioning.   I didn't think it was possible to get a cheap gym membership in Chicago, but I only pay $28 dollars a month and can go to any Bally now.

I was so tired of gaining weight over these ridiculously cold winters that Chicago is known for.  I was NOT motivated to work out by myself in the little gym of my apartment building and doing work out videos in my living room was getting old.  I'm not one to push myself without some type of motivation.

This Bally is working pretty well for me.  I do kickboxing class on Mondays after work and I swim on Wednesdays and Fridays for an hour.  This Wednesday will mark the fourth week of my routine.  I haven't noticed that much of a difference in my body yet, but I do feel better about myself...which I guess is a good start.

The classes are NOT for the weak willed.  We start at 5:30 sharp and do NOT stop until 6:30.  Our instructor encourages us to drink water, but there is never a time when everyone takes a break.  Push-ups, football shuffles, jumping jacks, squats and planks are mixed in between kicks, jabs, crosses and upper-cuts.  I took a kickboxing class in college, but I don't remember it being this tough.  I was probably in better shape, though.  I'm happy to report that I'm not nearly as sore today as I was after last Monday's class.

I LOVE to swim.  I've been doing it since before I can remember.  It is the best way for me to work out....no soreness/sweating/gasping for air.  I realize I probably don't push myself as hard as the instructor in kickboxing does, but I still feel like I get a good workout.  The pool at Bally is not the best.  There are only four lanes and I can touch both the right & left lane separators at the same time when I reach my arms out to my sides.  I've only had to share the lane a few times, and never for the full duration of my workout.  I don't really mind when I share with a smaller individual, but larger guys make it tough.

All in all, I have been pleased with the gym.  It is most certainly not perfect, but it gets the job done.  I basically have no excuse NOT to go because it's only four blocks from work.  Here's to slowly becoming a gym rat and hopefully not gaining any more weight this winter!

3 comments:

  1. I love the new blog, especially since I don't have to log into myspace to read it. I've been hitting the gym, too, trying to get in better hockey shape

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it doesn't say, but it's Tom from the ice rink

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading Tom! It's good to hear from you. Hope things are going good for you guys.

    ReplyDelete